Intertitle: "Panorama of Mission Street."
This jerky segment is a right-to-left
(northeast-to-west) panorama filmed from the north side of
Mission Street between 6th and 7th streets, a block south of
The camera looks northeast down Mission Street. The twin chimneys of
the U.S. Mint (one smoking) at 5th Street are at center
right. Beyond them and in the center of the picture is the Call
Building tower on Market Street.
The Flood Building at Market and Powell streets is seen in
the background. The ruins of the Hale Brothers Department Store
rise in the background at Market and 6th streets. In the far
distance at left is the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill. Note the
steps in the foreground leading nowhere; a common sight in the
A small break in the continuity occurs here.
The arch-windowed ruin on Jessie Street between Mission and Market
streets is the Swedish Evangelical Mission Church, founded in
1877 and built on this site circa 1900. The heart of the city's
Scandinavian neighborhood lay several blocks further west.
The distant ruined tower of St. Boniface Church (1902) rises
beyond the classic facade of the ruined Hibernia Bank (1892)
at McAllister and Jones streets, at Market Street.
We see the north (Stevenson Street) wing of the U.S. Post Office
(1905) at 7th and Mission streets, and a lower central part of
the building behind a boundary wall. Built on a buried marsh, the
building was damaged in the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes. It was
recently restored to serve as a court building for the U.S. Court of